As a business owner, I receive certain personal information about customers when they place an order via email, my WordPress site, Facebook or Etsy, or contact me about a potential order, such as name, postal address, email address, and phone number. The European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other local data protection laws guard how this kind of personal information is collected and used, and protect the privacy rights of online browsers and shoppers. Under these laws, buyers are entitled to certain information, including when, why, how, by whom, and for what purpose personal information is collected, used, and shared.
Information I Collect
To fulfil your order or respond to your enquiry, you must provide me with certain information, such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide me with additional personal information (for a custom order of a papercut, for example), if you contact me directly.
WordPress may also collect your IP address, and details of which web browser you use, alongside information on how you use the site, navigation and search terms you use.
MailChimp collects information on your email address and subscription preferences when you sign up to my mailing list, as well as information on how you use my emails, such as if you open them and if you click on any links contained within my mail-outs.
Why I Need Your Information and How I Use It
Any information you provide is viewed only by me. I rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
• as needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfil your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
• when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list;
• if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
• as necessary for the purpose of my legitimate interests, if those legitimate interests are not overridden by your rights or interests, such as providing and improving my services. I use your information to provide the services you requested and in my legitimate interest to improve my services.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Information about my customers is important to my business. I share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, such as:
• Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. I will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
• Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
I won’t share your information with any other organisations for marketing, market research or commercial purposes.
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. I describe these rights below:
• Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below. At any time, you may request full disclosure of the information that I hold for you. This will provided to you in writing to the address that I hold for you.
• Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where I am required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
• Object. You can object to (i) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
• Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
By consenting to this privacy notice you are giving me permission to process your personal data for the specific purposes identified. Consent is required for HolmesMadePapercuts to process your personal data, and consent must be explicitly given. Where I ask you for sensitive personal data, I will always tell you how and why that information will be used.
After you opt in, you may withdraw your consent and/or opt-out of marketing from HolmesMadePapercuts by notifying me in writing to the email address below.
How to Contact Me
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Melissa Holmes, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternately, you may mail me at: Melissa Holmes, 6 Kendal Gardens, Tockwith, York, YO26 7QR.